As we enter the end of May, we’ve been in another holding pattern for about two months without any activity on the house.
As it has been from the beginning of this project (even when it was my husband doing the work), the work comes in spurts. I should be used to it. But tonight I came home from work, opened the garage and noticed something was different.
It’s always good to see power tools and construction materials in the garage at the end of a long day. The soffits are long overdue. It’s been open where the soffits should be all winter and into the spring. So whenever it snowed or was a driving rain, my addition would get pretty wet. It was a little frustrating, to say the least. But since we’re using the Huber Zip System, I know the materials are waterproofed for 180 days. We’re good.
The metal roofing has arrived. I was a little nervous because I wasn’t sure if the metal roofing would match the metal roofing I had put on in the fall of 2015. Thankfully, it looks like a good match–not perfect, but a good match. The metal roofing is kind of weird because it really does change in color depending upon the level of sun exposure we have.
I’m amazed at how excited I get over the most mundane things. Soffits? Really? Yes. I think they’re beautiful!
Speaking of beautiful….how lovely does this look? I’m so excited they got the new windows installed in the addition. There will be a fireplace in the middle of those two windows and a door on the right.
They look lovely from the outside, as well!
Another exciting addition was the new roof over the entry in the addition. I wasn’t sure how this was going to look. I was skeptical at first because I wasn’t sure I liked the dormer style roof. I didn’t have many options, but after it was mostly finished, it really looks nice.
The progress continues!
Until next time…
Salvaging A Farmhouse is a series of blog posts that chronicle my experience of renovating and reclaiming our 1900 farmhouse. This is a project that is over a decade in the making. We were working towards some pretty serious renovations on the house until my husband became sick with Non-Hodgkin’s Lymphoma and died 9 weeks after his diagnosis. My kids and I have been left with the task of completing what we started all those years ago. Every house and every family have a story and this is the story of ours.
To view the series from beginning to end please go to this page: Salvaging A Farmhouse.